Eight people are running for seven seats open on the first election held for the Belleville Area District Library Board.
The candidates include six who had been appointed to the interim board, plus two newcomers.
The candidates will be listed on the Nov. 2 General Election ballot and voters in the City of Belleville, Van Buren Township, and Sumpter Township will be able to vote for seven names at large.
The seven-member interim library board was appointed by officials in the three municipalities to get the board started after forming the district was approved by the three municipalities.
Now, the official board is being elected at large.
Cynthia Hawthorne, Director of Elections in the Wayne County Clerk’s office, said those filing as of the 4 p.m., July 15 deadline were:
* Mary Jane Dawson, appointed by the City of Belleville;
* Joy Cichewicz, appointed by Sumpter Township;
* Joe Monte, appointed by Van Buren Township;
* Christina Brasil, appointed by Van Buren Township;
* Michael Boelter, appointed by Sumpter Township;
* Elaine Gutierrez, appointed by Van Buren Township;
* John Juriga of Belleville, a newcomer; and
* Harry Van Gelder of Van Buren Township, a newcomer.
Candidates gathered about 40 signatures on their petitions or filed a $100 fee without petitions.
Paul Henning, who was appointed to the interim board by Van Buren Township, did not file to run for the permanent board.